Searching for Gluten Free Birthday Cake.
by Christina N
(Chicago, IL USA)
gluten free birthday cake
A great Gluten-Free Baking book that keep you supplied in Gluten Free Birthday Cakes for years!
The search for gluten free birthday cake
started since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease (an autoimmune disease requiring you to avoid a variety of foods), I've gone searching with at least one other important person in my life to find a gluten-free (aka. no wheat, rye, barley...which means no flour!) and dairy free cake or cupcake. (Trust me, it's pretty hard)
Recently, I found a little hole in the wall that does gluten free *as well as* vegan cupcakes. My birthday is actually coming up, June 4th! and I've been doing a little pre-emptive searching to get ready for our grand treasure hunt for cake!
I had a little look in my recipe books for some gluten free birthday cake
and here are the results.
Chocolate Gluten Free Birthday Cake
- 250g chopped dark chocolate.
- 600g cooked chick peas (tinned is fine)
- 4 free range eggs
- 150g fine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (look for gluten free alternatives)
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Grease a 23cm round cake tin, line with parchment and then grease again.
- Place the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for about 1 minute, then remove and stir.
Continue to microwave the chocolate in 20 second intervals mixing thoroughly between, until chocolate is smooth and melted. Don't take any short cuts here and be careful not to overheat the chocolate
- Put the eggs and chickpeas into a food processor and mix until smooth.
- Blend in the sugar and baking powder
- Add the melted chocolate and mix well
- Put the cake mixture in to a greased and lined 9 inch cake tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes in a preheated oven at 180oC, or until a skewer pushed in to the middle comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack.
- When completely cooled dust with icing sugar and add candles
Cheese cake would make a great gluten free birthday cake as would an Ice Cream Cake, particularly spectacular with a large sparkler on top.
Gluten free Icecream Birthday Cake
- Using the above chocolate cake recipe, bake it in a smaller 6inch tin. You will need to adjust the cooking times
- Slice the cake horizontally into 3 rings.
- Purchase a block of ice cream and use the cake tin as a cutter and cut 2 circles of ice cream 6 inches wide by 1 inch in depth. Use dental floss (unused!) to cut the ice cream horizontally.
- Sandwich the cake together
- Decorate your gluten free birthday cake as desired