Alternative Healthy Birthday Cake, Adult Birthday Cake Cupcakes
My husband is on a bit of a health kick, so I decided a healthy birthday cake was in order. He's actually not much of a cake fan, but does love carrot cake.
I chose to make carrot cake cupcakes instead of a traditional carrot cake. I had a look for ideas for decorating cupcakes birthday. But eventually decided to do it in a traditional way, with cream cheese frosting and walnuts!
I used heart shaped silicon moulds, for that extra romantic touch!
If you want to try your hand at a something a little healthier, here's the recipe for my carrot cake cup-cakes.
For the Cup-cakes
100g walnut pieces (50g for decorating)
250g raw grated carrot
1 large apple peeled and grated
250g self raising flour
250g caster sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
3 large eggs
180ml vegetable oil (I used organic rapeseed oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Frosting80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
165g light cream cheese
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2-4 tablespoons icing sugar
Instructions (makes 12)
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Line cupcake tin with 12 large paper cases
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt cinnamon and half the walnuts
- Whisk eggs, oil and vanilla extract
- Gently mix the wet ingredients in with the dry and fold in the grated carrot, apple and raisins. Do not over mix, a few flour specs are fine. Over mixing results in a rubbery texture
- Fill each muffin case to near the top with the mixture
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. When they're cooked a skewer inserted to the middle should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely
- When completely cooled, prepare the frosting by mixing the softened butter, cream cheese and vanilla extract.
- Add the icing sugar a little at a time to taste
- Ice the top of the cupcakes with the frosting and decorate. I used chopped walnuts as a healthy birthday cake option. But you could use sprinkles, marzipan carrots, mini marshmallows, or a number of other things
- Light the candle and sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Go to Great Happy Birthday Ideas Home Page from Healthy Birthday Cake
Go to Birthday Cake Ideas from Healthy Birthday cake .
Return to top of page